Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Chess Sucks!


I’ve been trying to learn chess. Now, I’ve always considered myself a relatively smart man, but there’s just something about chess that, just, oh, I don’t know makes me feel like a total dumbass. I thought computers made me feel dumb, but chess has really got them beat. Chess makes me feel inadequate, yet every night I keep playing. I keep choosing easier and easier opponents and I keep losing and losing. A game shouldn’t be this hard. It’s a board game for crying out loud. Everyday I tell myself I’m not going to play again. I come home and sit down in my chair, trying to ignore my computer’s siren song. “Come play chess,” it sings sweetly, “you can win this time,” and like the sailors of old I heed the song, I amble over to the computer full well knowing I’m going to shipwreck on the rocks. (That was all metaphorical. I don’t really need a ship to get to my computer. I use a rowboat.) So after this next game, I’m done. I’m going to quit. I can do it. I don’t need it. I mean, what’s one more time going to hurt?

8 Comments:

Blogger Kevin W. said...

Eh, don't worry about it. Chess takes a while to get good at. You just gotta keep plugging away.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Chevy Rose said...

Chess is easy if you can think (and remember)into the future by more then 15 moves. I'm just too much of a 'here and now' player....;)

8:02 AM  
Anonymous andy the CC_machine said...

I've been playing on and off for 5+ years (year break) and the easy mode of GNU chess beats me 95% of the time.

Agreed. It fucking sucks. It's a waste of time with no goal other than to become better. I'd much rather play something fun like an FPS or RTS, instead of this logical torture of the mind.

11:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

chess is easy if you stop playing so many games.

Bobby Fischer only spend 10 percent of his chess time playing and 90 percent studying the game.

I'm not that patient so I only study 50 percent on the time.

if you want to be grandmaster you'd need to start young though..

1:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Try playing go or wei-chi. Then you will feel really dumb. Chess is like sleepwalking compared to go

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To original poster: I agree totally
that you should study more and play less. Focus particularly on tactics and endgames. Play over some good
master games with excellent annotations, such as Alekhine's "My Best Games". Read My System by Nimzovich.

Re wei-qi/go (which are the same game -- one is the Chinese name and one is the Japanese name for it): this game is not even remotely interesting. It is basically a beefed up Othello -- black and white stones on intersections to gain space, kill stones, etc. Although technically the number of sequences is much larger than chess (given a huge lattice of intersections upon which to place stones) -- the game itself doesn't involve the variety and depth of plans and moves as in chess. Each move basically amounts to placing a single stone and choosing an intersection for said placement. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you pussy. practice harder

1:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just want to say to all the folks who said chess sucks..It's a game that has been played by millions for over 15oo years.. Sure it doesn't amuse you like a video game but it's not suppose to. Chess teaches you to look into the future..to plan..you use your logical mind.. to solve a 3 dimensional problem.. if you don't like it ..don't play.. go back to pong or asteroids.. you're no chess material and don't have the brain power.

7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home